West Highland Way, 5th (British Walking Guides) Review
- Fully revised 5th edition of the first of Trailblazer’s 13-title series of British Walking Guides. The West Highland Way is the most popular long-distance path in the country, passing through some of the most spectacular scenery in all of Britain. From the outskirts of Glasgow it winds for 95 miles along the wooded banks of Loch Lomond, across the wilderness of Rannoch Moor, over the mountains above Glencoe to a dramatic finish at the foot of Ben Nevis – Britain’s highest mountain.
- 5 large-scale town plans and 48 large-scale walking maps – at just under 1:20,000 – showing route times, places to stay, places to eat, points of interest and much more. These are not general-purpose maps but fully-edited maps drawn by walkers for walkers.
- Itineraries for all walkers – whether walking the route in its entirety over a week to 10 days or sampling the highlights on day walks and short breaks
- Practical information for all budgets – camping, bunkhouses, hostels, B&Bs, pubs and hotels; Glasgow through to Fort William – where to stay, where to eat, what to see, plus detailed street plans
- Comprehensive public transport information – for all access points on the West Highland Way
- Climb Ben Nevis – route descriptions to the top of Britain’s highest mountain and other peaks
- Flora and fauna – four page full color flower guide, plus an illustrated section on local wildlife
- Green hiking – understanding the local environment and minimizing our impact on it
- Includes GPS waypoints. These are also downloadable from the Trailblazer website
Check Out What Readers Said about Kindle/eBook!
“This is a wonderful guide to the WHW. The guide includes detailed maps that provide far more detail than any others. The maps are similar to the Wainwright books on the lake district. The WHW is pretty easy to follow, so the benefit of the maps is partly in the extra background and information they provide, though we found it comforting to have the maps with us. We got an extra copy and tore out the maps for each day, so we didn’t have to carry the full map. Get the latest version, as this level of detail will require revision.” By Joe Savage
“This was a wonderful guide book to take with me. The maps are really detailed, and the info on places to stay & eat are very helpful (Though once you get far enough up in the Highlands, a lot of towns really just have the one or two places!). I mostly camped when I did the trail, and this was really helpful for estimating my timing. Highly recommend this book (and the trail)!” By William M Fleming
Kindle Price: Paperback from $46.22
Series: British Walking Guides
Paperback: 1 pages
Publisher: Trailblazer Publications; Fifth edition (September 3, 2013)
Product Dimensions: 7.1 x 4.8 x 0.6 inches
Shipping Weight: 9.1 ounces
Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #815,988 in Books